Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spicy Veggie Wrap


I was watching a travel show on food network a while ago and saw a chef make a "frankie roll."  Apparently this is a super popular street food in India.  Now I have pretty much no experience with Indian food aside from eating it, so I sort of stumbled around the internet looking for recipes.  I then stumbled through a variety of grocery stores (safeway, trader joes, etc.) and attempted to find the spices the recipes called for.

Any who I got lucky at Whole Foods and proceeded to attempt a simple veggie roll.  Next time I try making Indian food I'm going to try and watch some videos first.

2 medium potatoes peeled, chopped into bite size pieces, and boiled
1 yellow bell pepper
1 large onion chopped (I used a red onion for color)
1 carrot chopped
1/2 a cup of frozen peas
1 small can chopped green chiles
2 cloves garlic smashed
1/2 a teaspoon of red chili powder
1/2 a teaspoon ground corriander
1/2 a teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons Chaat Masala
Salt to taste
1 Tablespoon canola oil

Prepare the veggies and set aside.  In a pan heat oil.  Add mustard seeds, onions,  and green chiles - cook until onion is translucent.  Add all other vegetables, garlic, and spices cooking until tender. Salt to taste.  Set aside.

Wrap veggies in whole grain tortillas or for authenticity use a Roti.  Serve with chutney :)

No comments:

Post a Comment