Friday, July 29, 2011

Italian Savory Muffins


I'm not a huge fan of sweet in the morning.  Even though I'm a pancake kid, I always hold the syrup.  When I saw a friend post a recipe for savory breakfast muffins I thought I ought to give it a go.  I found a bunch of recipes, mushed them together and stirred in some italian flavor.  It turned out molto bene :)

1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion minced small
2 cloves garlic smashed
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon parsley
2 eggs
1 Cup milk
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 Cup pancetta browned and chopped into small bits
1/2 Cup asiago cheese
1/2 Cup shredded mozzarella 
Shredded parmesan sprinkled on top

Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease 12 muffin cups.

Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.

In a bowl combine flours, baking powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, and parsley.  

In another bowl combine eggs, milk, and dijon mustard.  Add the pancetta and cheeses to this bowl.

Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until combined.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.  I also like to melt a bit of butter with some crushed garlic to brush on top of the muffins when they are done baking.




No comments:

Post a Comment