Sunday, June 19, 2011

Grand Nelson's Fudge Squares



When I was a kiddo I had the luck to spend some time with some of my great grandparents before they passed.  My Grand Nelson was born on the 4th of July in 1899.  I remember growing up being extremely jealous of such a cool birthdate.

Grand Nelson lived through two world wars and whipped up some pretty fantastic recipes that bent to the culinary constraints of rationing (he's in the top right corner of the above picture, 19 years old).  My favorite recipe of his are his "fudge squares" which are a hybrid brownie/fudge/cookie.  The pictures I took cannot adequately convey their amazing uniqueness.

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening (crisco)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 and 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream sugar and shortening using a whisk.  Whisk in eggs and vanilla

Sift together dry ingredients and add to bowl.  Add in chopped walnuts.

Spread mixture in a greased 13X11 or 12X12 pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges pull away from the pan.  Cool slightly before cutting.


Side Note: Nelson was Grand Nelson's first name, and yet I spent my entire childhood calling my great grandmother Mormor Nelson.  The mini-feminist in me wishes someone had let me know that wasn't her name at all, but then again who wants to be called "mormor myrtle".

No comments:

Post a Comment