Saturday, June 25, 2011

Peanut Noodles with Steamed Veggies


It has taken me forever to find a peanut sauce that I can make at home that rivals what I get when I go out to eat.  This quest has become all the more complicated since my mom found out that she is allergic to soy.  Trying to make the majority of asian food without soy sauce is like trying to make bread without flour.  

This sauce is pretty amazing - and I was able to substitute broth and some salt for the soy sauce so my mom and other soy sensitive folks can have it too.  To make this a great healthy meal, serving the sauce on whole grain spaghetti with steamed veggies is the perfect combo.  

Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup broth (vegetable, chicken, beef) or 1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 scallion, cut into pieces
3/4 inch fresh ginger, finely grated
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt (if not using soy sauce)

Blend until smooth.

Toss 2/3 of the sauce with whole grain linguine and drizzle remaining sauce over a healthy portion of steamed broccoli florets, snow peas, and sugar snap peas.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or roasted peanuts.

This recipe is courtesy of Ellie Krieger with modifications including omission of brown sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment