Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rice Milk Crepes


When I think about crepes I remember stopping at crepe stands in europe as a kid.  I'd get a huge crepe covered in lemon, butter, and powdered sugar while my parents tried to figure out how much further it was to what-ever touristy stop we were headed towards next. Honestly I'm surprised by the lack of crepe stands in the states (as opposed to the plethora of eat-in crepe places).  Crepes are quick to make and good at all times of the day - in essence the perfect fast food.

I may have mentioned that I have some milk sensitivity - which of course is hereditary.  While my end of the allergy spectrum is more mild, other members of my family are not so lucky (I'm pretty sure one of my little cousin's diets is limited to salad, bacon, and brown sugar).  As a beneficial consequence of their suffering, I get recipes passed onto me that work for both severely allergic and non-allergic folks.

These crepes avoid the use of milk - so I get a happy belly as well as happy taste buds.

3/4 cups unbleached flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup rice milk
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Mix ingredients together.   Cook on lightly oiled pan or griddle about a minute on each side.

To eat them my favorite way:
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with lemon juice.  I also like to stuff my crepes with raspberries - but any fruit is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment