Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Veggie Summer Rolls with Mango Salad


I first started eating summer rolls at a vietnamese place about a mile from my house in Australia.  Since then I haven't eaten a spring roll - why fry up something that is already so fresh and delicious? I decided to try making a simple summer roll at home after my friend brought some to a bbq I was at last week.

My search for a recipe led me to a lovely food blog that suggested serving summer rolls with a mango salad ( the mint in this it reminds me a ton of mango mojitos - another summertime favorite).  I made my peanut sauce posted earlier, omitting the water to increase thickness of the sauce.  I also made the agave-lime sauce posted with the summer roll recipe.  Aside from chopping up the veggies this meal was a piece of cake to make + super satisfying

Summer Rolls

  • Rice Paper at least medium sized (available at asian markets or in asian food section at grocery stores)
  • 1 carrot jullienned 
  • 1 red bellpepper jullienned
  • 1/2 a cucumber jullienned
  • 1/2 a zucchini jullienned
  • fresh baby spinach


Soak rice paper in warm water for 10-15 seconds.  Lay out over a wet towel and lay a handful of veggies to the bottom of the rice paper.  Roll rice paper half way up, folding sides in, and then continue to roll up (like a burrito).  Set on a wet towel and cover with a wet towel towards serving.

*Traditional summer rolls also usually include fresh herbs like mint, basil, or cilantro.  I didn't add them this time, but if you have some around toss them in.

Agave-Lime Sauce

  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depends how hot you like it)
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh mint chopped

Blend all ingredients.

Mango Salad

  • 2 cups Mango (I used frozen)
  • 2 cups Pineapple (I used fresh)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes - sweetened
  • 1/4 cup mint chopped
  • Greek Honey-Vanilla Yogurt (or soy version of this)

Mix up fruit and mint.  Drizzle with yogurt.  yum.

Recipes courtesy of littlehouseofveggies.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment